The 2014 GoPro Mountain Games Are Here - Topline Magazine
Athletes, Art, Music and Mountains
Billed as The country’s largest celebration of adventure sports, music, and the mountain lifestyle, the GoPro Mountain Games returns to Colorado’s Vail Valley. Professional and amateur outdoor adventure athletes from around the world will converge upon the mountains and rivers of Colorado’s incredible high country to compete in nine sports and 25 disciplines including: x-country, slopestyle and road cycling, freestyle, 8-Ball, sprint and extreme kayaking, raft cross, World Cup Bouldering, stand up paddle sprint and surf cross, as well as trail, mud and road running, dog comps and the Ultimate Mountain Challenge.
And these aren’t just ANY competitive events going down at the #GoProMTNGames (that’s the hashtag to look for if you’re following on twitter...), but many of the events being hosted are linked in to the respective national championships for each athletic discipline. For example:
- The Steep Creek Championships
- The Slopestyle is jacked into the Freeride Mountain Bike World Tour as a Silver Level event with a 10,000 cash purse for the winner
- The Bouldering event is a USA Climbing World Cup event, and part of the worldwide IFSA
- An all inclusive Half Marathon with a finishing altitude of 10,000 feet.
All in all, there’s a total of 25 disciplines each competing for accolades and the crowd’s affection… oh and not to mention more than $110,000 in prize money!
In addition to the athletic events, the GoPro Mountain Games will include a mountain photography competition, adventure film school, film festival, an interactive exhibition and demo area, live music, and mountain lifestyle parties.
Planning on going? Here’s what you need to know:
When is it? June 5, 6, 7, and 8.
– For Thursday, Friday and Sunday it starts at 8AM and goes to about 5:45PM. For Saturday, the events kick off at 7AM and go on through the night till 10PM – with concerts by the Cold War Kids and a Native After Party.
Need a schedule?
Need a place to stay?
Look for Topline Magazine while you’re there! We’ll be there with bells on, covering the event and posting updates throughout the week onto Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.